Recipe step number
Day 1, Activity 1
Create a shared team vision
Recipe: Design Sprint (Day 1)
Materials needed: - Mural (digital whiteboard) - Microsoft Teams (or other video conference tool)
Mural template: Design Sprint complete 5-day canvas
More resources - links etc go here
Why do we need a Long-Term Goal? In the Design Sprint we always "start at the end". Aligning on a Long-Term Goal helps the team move towards the same outcome together through the rest of the Sprint (and beyond).
Here's a video from Design Sprint agency AJ&Smart that shows the key steps of the Long-term Goal activity.
Key tips from the Sprint Book (pages 53-56)
- Begin with the end in mind. If you did everything right in the Sprint, you should be well on the path to achieving your long-term goal.
- Ask your team: “Why are we doing this project?" "Where do we want to be in six months, a year, or even five years from now?”
- These questions are very important, so don’t expect them to be easy.
Key learnings and tips from Advance Concepts™
- Have a shared direction with the Decider prior to starting the Sprint, a “Challenge” to solve.
- A strong Long-term Goal should be based from a key Business Problem AND a Customer Problem/Desire that relates.
- It helps if the Long-term Goal envisions an outcome and has some aspirational metric of success.
How to do this activity
Allow 30 mins
[5 mins] Explain the activity
- We will do this step separately in silence so we can think individually and collect diverse inputs
- A Long-Term Goal should have:
- A Time frame: e.g. "In 2 years time..."
- A Specific aspirational achievement (for the focus of this Design Sprint) e.g. "...we will be the #1 choice for...", or "...we'll help customers do X..."
- A Metric (optional) : e.g. "...faster than competitor x", or "...improve efficiency by 50%"
[3 mins] Participants each write a Long-Term Goal
- Set the Mural timer for 3 mins
- Everyone writes a Long-Term Goal (can write 2 or 3 if they like)
- Use the format above starting with a time frame (e.g. in 2 years...")
- Write each statement on a separate sticky
[5 mins] Group Voting
- Set the Mural voting tool to "3 votes each" and explain voting rules:
- People can vote on their own stickies
- They can put multiple dots on one sticky (if they want)
- Set the Mural timer to 3 mins, and start voting (in silence)
[5-10 mins] Decider Vote
- Set the Mural timer to 5 mins (can add more time if needed)
- The Decider can consult the group and ask questions that might help them decide (if they want to)
- The Decider chooses the Long-Term Goal that:
- Best suits the Sprint's challenge
- Provides the clearest direction for the group to understand and work towards